Friday, December 14, 2012

Introduction

I thought I'd start out by telling a bit about myself. Lynn Grey is my identity on this blog, but it is not my real name. I do not know yet if anonymity will be important or necessary to me, so I thought I'd play it safe to start. 

The purity movement is something I came into contact with in junior high. Latched onto it whole-heartedly. My upbringing was Christian but not overly conservative. At least not the type of fundamentalist conservative--but rural Midwestern values conservative. So my participation in evangelical Christian culture and adopting its values was mostly my own initiative. I loved it and took it very seriously. I went to a bible college and lived by the rules. It wasn't until a few years after that, in my mid-twenties, that I began truly questioning what I believed. There were things about the concept of purity in particular that bothered me. I will explain these things in depth in later posts, but ultimately, I came to the realization that I did not believe the ideals of the purity movement were God's plan for us, nor were they healthy. I still consider myself a Christian, albeit a more liberal one, but I do still harbor some bitterness and resentment towards the movement and evangelical Christian culture in general, because of the path it was putting me on and the person it was turning me into. Although my experiences are not dramatic or extreme, I feel like I "escaped" a life of loveless legalism. I think the reason I'm so fascinated by stories of people within the movement or extremely conservative religion is because I can see my alternate life: the life I could have led if I followed some of the teachings I was exposed to.

I'm still on my journey of finding truth and God. I will probably talk about some of those things here, too, because even though it doesn't always have to do with the purity movement, my experiences were so intertwined, and sex and religion and culture frequently impact each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment