Monday, June 17, 2013

Recommended Viewing

I recently watched a documentary called I Do, I Don't about a marriage between two young people who were prominent members of a church. Their marriage ended within a year, and through interviews with the couple and members of their church, you see the different perspectives of what happened and what should happen.

I was particularly interested to hear the husband say he realized they never got to develop a personal relationship with each other because they were a public couple that was accountable to everyone else. They wanted to be above reproach, and as a result, they spent very little quality time alone together.

Even though the wife never gives specifics about the things that made her realize they had made a mistake, it was clear that their problems started before they got married. But they and the people around them ignored the warning signs. It made me think of a couple I knew in college. They were both very liked and respected in our Christian community, and everyone was happy for them when they decided to get married, except for her two closest friends. They divorced a few years later and it was rumored that he was abusive. I would guess that they were encouraged to marry by most of the people they knew, the same as the couple in this documentary. It concerns me that this might be a common phenomenon in Christian communities, where everyone assumes that the two perfect Christian kids would make a perfect couple, and the couple, in turn, feels pressure to live up to everyone's expectations.

The other documentary I came across last week is one that is not finished, but you can watch some of the interview videos and read the back story: Give Me Sex Jesus. Anyone who has ever prayed, "God, please don't let me die before I've had sex" should be able to relate to it. I know I and most of the friends I had who believed in the purity movement definitely had that concern.

1 comment:

  1. Lol. I'm pretty sure a lot of girls have prayed that.

    ReplyDelete