Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Relevant Arrested Development joke

There's a scene in my favorite show, Arrested Development, that makes fun of a common misconception held by purity believers. I mentioned it in my last post about the myth of "reward sex"--the idea that by waiting so long to have sex, your first time will be amazing because you've got so much pent-up sexuality to express. More of us should have had the reaction Michael has in this conversation (look at the 5th frame), but I unfortunately believed in this idea well through my twenties.






 

(via)

1 comment:

  1. I have never heard anybody say that you get "reward sex" because of having so much "pent-up sexual energy". Really?? Frankly, I am just highly suspicious that this is what was communicated to you as young people. I am a teacher, and I know full well that sometimes what some young people "hear" has nothing whatsoever to do with what was actually said. Are you SURE this is what somebody told you? I think it has more to do with the fact that kids' minds are already "in the gutter" so to speak because they are getting so many mixed messages and so many sexually stimulating messages at a young age. Young girls didn't used to be like this. We had other things to think about at this age and fantasizing about married sex was not part of it.

    We have an expression "you have a dirty mind" which we apply to people who can't hear innocent things without relating them to sex and getting all titillated. Normally, we used to find this pretty gross. Nowadays, a large number of young people in certain environments are like this. People have really changed....it's not "human nature", it's our culture.

    ReplyDelete